A Winning Hadithi
A winning Hadithi is an inspirational, true story about your extraordinary experience. It touches the heart and awakens the spirit. It is a simple personal piece that positively influences the reader with lessons they can apply in their own lives. It should be filled with vivid images to capture all the five senses of the reader.
Your Hadithi should be written in the first person and it should have a beginning, middle and an end. Rather than just talking about your story, end it with an emotional close to make the reader go “Wow”. Your Hadithi should make the reader feel more hopeful, more connected, more thankful, more passionate and better about life in general. A good Hadithi causes goose bumps, laughter, tears or a combination of any of these.
A Guideline for your Hadithi
• Tell an exciting story about something that you have experienced. Your story should be written in first person and it should be about you
• Tell your story in a way that causes goose bumps, laughter, tears or a combination of any of these
• Do not start your story with an introduction about what you are going to say or end with a concluding paragraph about what you have just said. Instead, start in a way that will draw the reader
• Be personal and speak from the heart
• Your story must be 1500 words or less
• No fiction of creative writing. Your story must be true
Your Hadithi should NOT be;
• An essay, tribute, thesis or letter
• About politics or controversial issues
• A biography
The writer of the winning Hadithi will receive a writing grant of Kshs. 10,000. They will also receive one on one sessions with all the judges of this competition. There are great prizes to be won by the runner ups as well.
If we decide to publish any stories that we receive, we will contact the author for permission to do so and also attribute their story to them.
• The deadline for submissions is 5.00 pm 10th October 2014
• You can submit your story anytime before then. Submissions received after the deadline will not be reviewed
• Stories can only be submitted online via http://gibebe.com/submit-your-hadithi/
• If any of your contacts change after submitting your story, be sure to notify us by sending your new contact information to firstname.lastname@example.org
What happens after I submit my story?
• We will send a confirmation to acknowledge receipt of your story
• We request at this point that you be patient as the judges review all the submissions
The Award Ceremony
• We will organize an Award Ceremony inviting everyone who submitted their story
• The winners of the competition will be announced during the ceremony and not anytime before
• The ceremony will also allow for all participants to interact with one another and the judges as well
• The date, time and venue will be communicated ample time before the event for purposes of preparation